Most are free-to-use (ie public domain or copyright-free), so the words can be copied and sung to at least one tune with no concerns about copyright or performance licensing. Many of these hymns are old/traditional - but where possible a variety of styles / genres are included.
Seasonal NoteThe Easter Vigil is the liturgical highlight of the Church year. It is the third ceremony in the Triduum, following from the Holy Thursday commemoration of the Lord's Supper, and the Good Friday Celebration of the Lord's Passion.
It has four parts:
- Liturgy of Light
- Liturgy of the Word - which includes up to seven Old Testament readings, as well as an Epistle and Gosepel
- Liturgy of Baptism
- Liturgy of the Eucharist.
The Easter Vigil Planning Template is a worksheet for planning and organising this service.
Old testament readings
- Genesis 1-2: The creation story
- Genesis 22: God tested Abraham's willingness to offer his son
- Exodus 14: Moses parting the Red Sea so the people can escape from Egypt
- Isaiah 54: With great love, the Lord has taken pity on you, and will never leave you.
- Isaiah 55: Come to the water, you who are thirsty / I will make an everlasting covenant
- Baruch 3,32: The One who knows all sends the light ... in her radiance, make your way to light
- Ezekiel 36: The nations will learn that I am the Lord ... I shall pour clean water over you ... I shall remove the heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh
Mass ReadingsFirst: Romans - We were baptised in Christ's death - and resurrection. When he died, he died once for all.
Psalm: 117 - Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia / Give thanks to the Lord / The Lord's right hand has triumphed.
Second: Hebrews -In Jesus we have the supreme High Priest, who learnt to obey through suffering.
Year A Matthew - The angel rolled away the stone, and said to the women "Do not be afraid, he is risen as he said. Come and see the tomb, then go and tell the disciples that he is going to Galilee". The women ran filled with awe and joy, and they met Jesus.
Year B Mark - The women went to the tomb, and found the stone rolled away. They entered the tomb, and found Jesus was gone. A young man in a white robe told them that Jesus had risen, and that they should tell the disciples to go to Galilee to see Jesus.
Year C Luke - The women went to the tomb, and found the stone rolled away. Two dazzing men appeared and said "Why look among the dead for one who is alive?". They reported this to the disciples, and Peter went to the tomb.
ThemesResurrection, triumph over death, rejoicing, alleluia.
HymnsAll Creatures of our God and King
Alleluia, Sing to Jesus
At the Lamb's High Feast we Sing
Breath on me O Breath of God
Come and Drink of that New River
Come Christians Join to Sing
Come Ye Faithful Raise the Strain
Glorious Things of You are Spoken
Hail the Day that Sees Him Rise
Hail Thee Festive Day
He is Lord
How Great is our God (for the Exodus reading)
Let us with a Gladsome Mind
Jesus Christ is Risen Today
Joyful Joyful we Adore Thee
Rejoice in the Lord Always
Rejoice the Lord is King
Sing of Christ, Proclaim his Glory
The Day of Resurrection
The Easter Song (My Lord he Died for a Kingdom)
Thine be the Glory
This Joyful Eastertide
Thou Whose Almighty Word
Ye Choirs of New Jerusalem
Suggestions about hymns that could be included are welcome: leave a comment below.