It is in English, and based on the official (ICEL) English translation of Novus Ordo (the Mass format introduced after Vatican II).
It is not suitable for special events like weddings and funerals, which have additional features - but could be adapted for them if you want to do so.
Download the form by clicking on the format you prefer (MS Word or PDF), and saving the file that opens onto your computer.
How to use the templateDownload a copy (right-click on it, and choose "Save Link as"), or open it directly (click it, and save or print the file that opens.
Fill in the background details:
- Date and time
- Liturgical focus (usually based on the readings of the day and the feast or season)
- Pastoral focus (any local or personal events that are relevant to the people who will be attending, and which you want to acknowledge in your planning)
- The names of the priest(s), reader(s) and musicians and/or singers
The "music note" column shows how important it is to sing each item on the Mass. This is a subjective judgement, made from various church documents: you need to decide which elements are to be sung in this particular Mass.
Choose hymns and Mass-parts, and write them into the "item" column.
Enter the key that each song will be played in, and any notes about it (eg number of verses, arrangement, soloist-only, etc)
If some items don't apply in your parish or school: either leave them blank, or delete them.
- Catholic Mass Planning Template, extended version - for planning more complicated Masses
- Catholic Mass Planning Template, music planning version - for music directors planning more complex Masses