OverallDenominational hymn-books often include hymn suggestions, either by topic, season or specific feast.
There are also a number of websites w lists of suggested music for Sunday church services, based on liturgical calendars. Many of these are listed below.
This is not a complete list: if you know other sites that could be included, please leave a comment below.
- St Louis Jesuits Sunday web-site
The Music of Sunday's Mass page has some helpful links, including "Sunday's music in parishes" which lists the music being used in a number of American parishes each week.
- The Newman Hymnal
An on-line tool, organised by the church-calendar, and also by theme etc, produced by the University of Notre Dame (a Catholic university in Illinois, USA)
- National Association of Church Musicians planning calendar
Suggestions from a membership-based American Catholic church musician support organisation.
- Canadian Bishop's Conference:
Music for the Sunday Assembly - Year A
Music for the Sunday Assembly - Year B
Music for the Sunday Assembly - Year C
- CanticaNOVA publications
Music and liturgical suggestions for Year A, Year B and Year C, from a US company specialising in quality / traditional music. Strong emphasis on Latin and official texts.
- Music for Mass:
Settings of the psalm and gospel acclamation produced by a musician in the United Kingdom. Includes settings for both UK and US approved scripture translations.
- Music Ministry
A comprehensive set of suggestions from an Australian parish
- Liturgy Music Planner
A set of suggestions from the Archdiocese of Southwark, in England.
(Look for an up-do-date link in the lower-left side on their page)
- Living Liturgy
A regular seasonal newsletter from an Australian diocese: includes various seasonal prayers and a detailed Sunday planner.
- Free-to-use Sunday Hymn Suggestions
LiturgyTools.net's own listing of hymns that match the Sunday reading themes, and are free from copyright. Based in Ireland, but drawing suggestions from various English-speaking sources.
Anglican / Episcopalian / Church of England-Ireland-Scotland
- Oremus Hymnal:
A hymnal-based site that aims to be " the comprehensive source of information about the extensive tradition of Anglican and English-language hymnody" - has music suggestions based on the Revised Common Lectionary
- Starters for Sunday:
Resources and suggestions from the Church of Scotland
- United Methodist General Book of Discipleship Planning Calendar
A Revised Common Lectionary (RCL) based calendar produced by the United Methodist Church's General Board of Discipleship (GBOD) - American.
- Singing the Faith Plus
A website produced by the Methodist Church in the United Kingdom
- LCA Worship Planner Produced by the Lutheran Church of Australia, this is described as "Everything lay-readers need to prepare worship" - including hymn suggestions.
Other RCL-based resources
- Singing from the Lectionary :
A blog with weekly song, hymn and recorded music suggestions and resources for worship - based on the Revised Common Lectionary.
Based on suggestions made to a Uniting Church, by a person with a background in Methodist hymn-singing, Scripture in Song, Praise and Worship bands, African American Gospel, Taize, Iona and African song, American hymnody and Sacred Harp singing, and the Catholic Mass and cantored Psalms, who aims for songs that are beautiful, intelligent, and inclusive.
- The Text This Week: Providing "a wide variety of resources for study and liturgy based on the 3-year Revised Common Lectionary" cycle. It presents "a diverse variety of resources for scripture study, reflection and liturgy, and purposefully do not restrict the resources to any particular theological/ideological position". Does not include music suggestions specifically - but does include an index to sources of artwork and also movies.